This Standard is about the way we let our homes, the rent we charge and our tenancy services.This Standard is about the way we let our homes, the rent we charge and our tenancy services.
Allocation of homes
Every week we advertise our available homes on the Cornwall Homechoice register, giving affordable housing applicants the opportunity to bid for homes of their choice across the county.
If your bid for a property is successful, we will:
- contact you within 3 working days to check your application
- arrange for you to view the property before signing up for it
- send you a formal offer letter which includes details of the rent and other charges and the tenancy start date.
The rent we charge is set within limits defined by the Government. We will help you to meet the rent first culture.
- provide you a range of ways to pay your rent: by direct debit, standing order, via our website, using the AllPay app, at your local post office, by debit card over the telephone or at our office
- issue you with a quarterly rent statement,access to view your rent account online and rent account information by text
- explain how we spend your service charges
- work with you to make a sustainable special arrangement to pay arrears
- offer new tenants free financial health checks
- offer you budgeting and welfare advice or refer you to another agency that can help
We want you to feel happy and secure in your property and we will support you to maintain the conditions of your tenancy.
To help new tenants we offer a Starter Tenancy, information on our website, and we will aim to visit you within 2 months of you moving into your new home.
We will work with you to see if you need any support and make arrangements with other agencies where necessary.
Ocean offers a self-paying Visiting Service to vulnerable tenants, that includes the provision of a Lifeline alarm and regular weekly, fortnightly or monthly visits.
Monitoring our performance
We will publish the following performance indicators and targets on our website:
- average time to let an empty property
- current rent arrears as a percentage of the total rent due