The Green team is working on a few initiatives beyond the standard ISO 14001 waste and energy reductions that will be realistic and achievable for a company of this size.
Being a fairly large company, you may not have come across other staff that commute in the same direction as you. We have set up a registration form to facilitate and network staff together to car share, saving both costs and the environment.
Even if you don’t register with the Green Team, you can log your car share journeys online so that we can keep a record of how much CO2/Kg the company is saving.
Eco Culture & Communications
Thinking green is a way of life – Think ‘Recycle, Reduce, Reuse’. The Green Team will share their tips, news and views on Eco matters in our newsletters – to cultivate an ‘Eco Culture’ within the company.
By communicating inspiring facts with motivational and practical tips, the hope is that green habits will become routine and second nature, and then in turn, will spread beyond the company like a butterfly effect.
Waste vs Storage
This exercise is a Green Team initiative to gauge potential savings and waste reduction when it comes to storing rather than skipping offcuts and spare materials.
The idea would be to take garage in key locations for storing offcut kitchen worktops, timber, skirting, plasterboard, bags of plaster and cement etc because it could work out more cost effective storing than buying a new length/bag each time tradesmen need to repair a short stretch/small patch.
At this stage it’s just a fact finding mission but, if we get some useful feedback, statistics and appetite, we are hoping to put together a proposal for Board approval.
Trades staff are being asked to complete a Survey.
The Green Team have already spotted some ‘quick wins’ to reduce energy consumption within our offices and warehouses.
- Switching to LED lighting
- Give staff access to information such as the Greenhouse Gas Report.
- Undertaking an energy management survey to assess energy waste and inefficient habits at work. This will enable us to formulate a proposal:
- to install energy saving devices to ensure technology is not left on standby unnecesarily.
- to roll out clear communications to staff to enforce ‘best practice’ and take responsibility for reducing energy consumption at their place of work.