We are committed to safeguarding individuals’ rights to confidentiality. You have a right to privacy when using this website and in all your dealings with Ocean Housing Group Ltd.
1. Who is responsible for my information?
Ocean Housing Group Ltd (the “Data Controller”) [Registered as a Charitable Community Benefit Society No. 05000720], is responsible for the collection, processing, storage and safe keeping of any information you provide on this website and the information you provide will be managed in accordance with relevant legislation (e.g. Data Protection Act).
The Data Protection Act 1998 is designed to protect your personal data and sets rules for processing this information.
The Act says that those who record and use personal information must be open about how the information is used and must make sure it is handled properly.
The Act says that information about you must be:
- fairly and lawfully processed
- processed for limited purposes
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- not kept for longer than is necessary
- processed in line with your rights
- not transferred to countries without adequate protection.
By law, we are required to keep to these principles.
2. What information do we collect about you?
As part of delivering services to you, certain personal information we collect and process will enable us to respond to your enquiry/interest in our service. This information is collected using our ‘online contact forms’ and cookies (see section 6 – Cookies).
The information we hold on our records is usually related to your tenancy history. For example:
- names and dates of birth of people in your household
- telephone numbers
- rent payment history
- information related to a transfer application, such as information on your health.
This list is not exhaustive, as we hold records of most contacts between yourself and our offices.
3. How will we use the information about you?
We will use your information to
[a] respond to your interest in our services,
[b] respond to any enquiries you make, and
[c] keep you updated with the latest news (Direct Marketing) and products/services.
4. How do we protect your details?
Along with the Data Protection Act, it is our policy to ensure:
- Information is only given to our staff and agencies on a need to know basis.
- Staff and agencies with whom we share information observe our confidentiality policy.
- All records are kept securely.
- Interviews with residents will be carried out in private.
- Personal information is treated as strictly confidential, unless you give consent or the law permits it. For example, the law allows us to share information with Police, Benefits Agency and other landlords to prevent or deal with anti-social behaviour, crime and fraud.
- If you would like to authorise someone else to access your personal data and act on your behalf, please write in (including both yours and the authorised person’s full contact details) to:
Data Protection Officer
Ocean Housing Group Ltd
- If you telephone our offices to enquire about your rent account or personal matters related to your tenancy, you will be asked security questions to confirm your identity.
5. How are your details stored?
We will store your details securely using:
- Filing cabinets kept in secure office accommodation
- Secure computer systems. Any records held electronically will be protected by appropriate security arrangements that prevent unauthorised access.
6. Who might we share your details with?
6.1 Sharing within the Group
Information will be used across the organisation to ensure you are receiving all services you have requested; ensure your information is accurate and up to date and to promote other products that the Group offers and/or to keep you updated with the latest news.
6.2 Sharing to third parties
We will not sell your information to any third parties nor will we share your information except where we are required to by law.
You can obtain further information on:-
- Information Sharing & Partnership Agreements we have with other organisations we work with to deliver services
- Circumstances where we could pass personal data without your consent (e.g. prevention or detection of crime).
6.3 Money Laundering
We are legally bound to comply with UK money laundering legislation, we may therefore conduct verification checks including an electronic check to confirm a customer’s identity.
7. Direct Marketing
7.1 Keeping you informed
Your information will be used for direct marketing purposes to keep you updated with our latest services/offers (eg StreetTalk text messages, email alerts and enewsletters.)
7.2 Opt-out of receiving Direct Marketing
You have the right at any time to ‘opt out’ of receiving any direct marketing by writing to us. We then have up to 21 days to action this.
Please Contact Us in writing (email/online form) if you wish to opt-out at any time.
8.1 Visiting our Website
We do not make any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our websites. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any personally identifying information from any source.
If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up front about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information (see section 2) and will explain what we intend to do with it (see section 3).
8.2 What are Cookies?
We also use Google Analytics cookies to enable more accurate reporting of site usage data.
8.4 Third party cookies
We sometimes embed video content and photos from websites such as YouTube. Pages with this embedded content may present cookies from these websites. Similarly, when you use one of the share buttons on our website, a cookie may be set by the service you have chosen to share content through. You should check the relevant third party website for more information about these cookies.
8.5 Disabling cookies
Details of how to do this differ according to the browser you use. Instructions can be found in your browsers help files by searching for cookies or privacy. Full instructions for most popular browsers, including older versions, can be found at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies Cookies are a technical requirement for some functions offered on this website, such as logins. Cookies must be enabled if you wish to make use of any of these services.
9. Access to your personal information and correction
9.1 How you can find out what information we hold about you:
Under the Data Protection Act (1998) you are entitled to know whether we hold information about you. You can ask for a copy of the personal data we hold about you by completing the ‘Subject Access Request Form’ below. You can also receive the form by calling 01736 874450.
The form should be completed in full and returned to:
Data Protection Officer
Ocean Housing Group Ltd
You may be asked to pay a fee of £10 to cover administration costs.
We will respond to your request within 7 days, if further information or a fee is required, we will request this before proceeding. We will then agree what information will be provided and its format and send you a copy within 40 days of receiving the completed application. You may be invited to view the data at our office if we are unable to send it.
Please note that your right to see certain information may be limited. For example, if it may affect a police investigation or a criminal prosecution then we are not permitted to disclose the information to you.
If you feel our records are inaccurate, you can write to us at the address above, asking for them to be amended. If you feel we have unfairly withheld information or unfairly refused to amend your records, you can make a complaint using our complaints procedure or contact the Information Commissioners Office.
9.2 Correction to your personal information
We make every effort to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date. You may ask us either to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
Please Contact Us with clear instructions about which information is incorrect and provide us with the correct information.
10. Links to other websites
Tel: 01726 874450
Ocean Housing Ltd
View Ocean Housing in a larger map